Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Simply Adorable Purse Tutorial

This is a pattern I made from a Target purse once and now I make it all the time because it's so easy and you can dress it up super cute.
Supplies:
-1/2 yd of lining and outside, 1yd in all. I used the same for both but I usually use two different fabrics.
-Sewing machine
-Scissors
-Cutting board (optional)

Step 1:
Cut out pattern from both fabrics. The strap is pretty simple to copy and the body of the purse is just a 12'' by 12'' square or however big you want it. Remember to cut two of each from both the lining and outside fabric so will have four of each piece. I also cut the body of the purse on the fold so all I have to do is sew down the sides and not worry about the bottom. If you do this then you will only have 2 body pieces all together instead of 4.

Step 2:
As mentioned above, just sew down the sides of both the lining and outside purse. I don't have a surger so I'll just do a quick zig zag down the seams to secure it.

Step 3:
To make the corner just flatten the bottom corner of each piece and sew about 2'' in strait across.
Step 4: The strap
Take the small ends of both straps and attach to make one long strap. Do this to both sets so you have two identical straps.
Step 5:
Put both sets of straps together right sides facing in and sew along both sides then pull right-side out and press. I like to sew about 1/4'' in from the seam on the outside to make a more finished look.

Step 6:
This is the trick part. I'll try to explain it well. Take either the lining or the outside of the purse and flip it right-side out. then flatten it sideways so the side seams are together. Then center one side of the strap right over one of the side seams and pin. Sew across strap about 1/2'' in.

Step 6:
Now you're ready to attach the lining and outside sets together. With your strap still attached to one side of the purse, insert the lining or the outside, whichever you attached the strap to, into the other right side out. So you should have either the lining or the outside of the purse stuffed into the other right-sides facing each other. Now sew about 1/2'' seam all the way around the top of purse but leave an opening big enough to insert the other end of strap on the sides. I just mark the opening with 2 pins one on each side and then sew around from pin to pin.
Step 7:
Flip everything right-side out through little opening in top and stuff the lining into the body of the purse. Now all you have to do is attach the other end of the strap by inserting the raw end into that opening you left, fold in the seam and finish with a 1/4'' seam around top to finish. Yea! We're done!
The finished product.
You can add all kinds of simple embellishments on the outside to give your purse character and cuteness. I attached a bunch of little pocket flowers with a button in the center just to make it a little more girly.

4 comments:

  1. You make me want to sew! Ah... to have time and energy.... It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff, so literally Ella is getting the same things that you gave Miss Mylee. I have almost finished three dolls for her. We ended up with one white doll, one Asian doll, and one black doll. Funny story I should tell you. Love them, so cute. I also made her a purse (I would love to learn how to make the little pocket flowers). The last thing she is getting is a hooded towel, since I don't live near Jess anymore I have to make it for her! Isaac was feeling like we weren't giving her anything so we had to go get a couple things from the store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO CUTE! Once I get back to America I am totally going to make one! How did I not know about this super awesome blog? I love ALL of the projects!

    ReplyDelete