Thursday, March 18, 2010

Granola Bars you'll love!


I've never been able to find a granola bar that truly satisfies my snack craving, until now. I discovered the only good granola bars around are homemade ones. I found this recipe and I've made it about four times already and when I run out, I'm in denial until I make some more.

Ingredients:
2 c. oats
3/4 c. wheat germ
3/4 c. sunflower seeds (or another kind of nut like almonds)
1 c. peanuts, crushed ( I like to use pecans instead)
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. honey
4 tbs. butter (I've gotten away with 3 or less)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
about 8 oz. dried fruit (love crasins!)

Crush the peanuts or pecans and add them to the wheat germ and sunflower seeds, and oats and pour onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 min at 400 degrees.

Meanwhile, prepare an 11x13'' pan with some wax paper sprayed with pam.

Then you can combine the brown sugar, honey, butter and vanilla in a small sauce pan and bring to simmer then set aside and wait for the oats to finish toasting.

Once everything is done cooking combine the oat mixture and the sugar mixture and stir until evenly distributed. This is where you can add the dried fruit if you want.

Now pour the mixture into you greased pan and fold the wax paper over and press down firmly so that it gets packed in there tight. You might want to peal the wax paper off afterwards so it doesn't stick, I've had issues with that.

Once the bars have completely cooled (about 3hrs) then you can cut them up and individually wrap them with ceran wrap.
Enjoy a healthy snack that will definitely satisfy those afternoon sweet cravings.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. I know what I am making this week. You are killing me with all of these awesome recipes I keep seeing. I have withheld thus far from making the cinnamon rolls. I am not sure how many more times I can see your blog and not make them

    ReplyDelete